Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket       Photobucket

Sunday, May 13, 2012

Let's go back, not forward

Let's go back in time. January. It’s a snowy, blistery day while shopping in a parka and boots when love strikes. Love in the form of a printed spring dress or those oh-so-tall wedges that just had to be taken home. Now jump back to the present, halfway through Spring, and reflect on those purchases. The high of their newness starts to wear off and the dreaded idea of “I have nothing to wear!” starts to creep itself into the brain. A morning of combing through those purchases can sometimes be a bit disappointing:Peplum tops? Been there done that. Floral pants? More like what was I thinking when I got these? Neon bags? Do I really want to look like a walking highlighter?

So instead of looking for the next new thing, I take a moment to reflect. Instead of looking forward, I look backwards to how we got here in the first place. One of my favorite pastimes is to search for photos of style icons online. You know those photos of ladies whose style transcends time? They look so effortless yet so put together. And everything they’re wearing I’d wear in a heartbeat today. I’m constantly asking myself “what’s their secret?” Sometimes their fashion is so simple and basic - and that’s the answer - sometimes you gotta keep it simple.   

In the moments when I’m not in the mood for the latest trends, I refer to my inner simplesta (made up word by me, Def: your classic style inspiration). Mine tend to be French Women from the 1960’s. I break down what they are wearing to its core. One simple formula I often refer back to is: a black and white a-line dress with flats...add a trench coat for cool days. Wha-la!




Retrocedamos en el tiempo. Enero. Preparadas para un día de compras con nuestro abrigo y botas altas, surge el flechazo. El amor en forma de vestido de primavera y de unas maravillosas plataformas que tenemos que llevarnos sí o sí. Volvamos al presente, ya a mitad de la primavera y reflexionemos sobre esas compras. Ya no nos parecen tan excitantes como en aquel momento y seguimos con la frase de siempre: “¡no tengo nada que ponerme!”. Ahora más que gustarnos nos decepcionan: tops con volantes? Ya me los puse. Pantalones con flores? Qué me habría bebido cuando los compré? Bolsos de colores chillones? Es que acaso quiero parecer un fluorescente?

Así que antes de pensar en mi siguiente compra, me paro a reflexionar. Uno de mis pasatiempos preferidos es buscar fotos de iconos de estilo del pasado. Esas mujeres, cuyo estilo “no forzado” permanece en el tiempo. Y siempre me pregunto: “¿cual es su secreto?. Tampoco lucen nada complicado. Precisamente ése es el secreto, su simpleza.

En esos momentos en los que no me apetece llevar la última tendencia en el mercado, vuelvo a lo que siempre me ha inspirado independientemente de lo que se lleve. Y siempre me han gustado las mujeres de la Francia de los 60 y uno de los looks que imperó en aquella época: el vestidito evasé en blanco y negro con bailarinas…añádele un trench si sopla el viento et…Voilà!

-AV-

No comments:

Post a Comment